International Centre for Innovations in Science, Technology and Education (ICISTE) has been operating as a Secretariat of the Russian Council for BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation on behalf of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation since April 15, 2016.
The Russian Council for BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation was created in order to coordinate the activities of different authorities and organizations, which determine and implement state policy in the area of international STI cooperation within BRICS as well as in order to implement BRICS R&D and Innovation Initiative effectively.
BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) have been intensively cooperating in the area of STI since signing of one of the main documents – Memorandum of understanding on Cooperation in Science, Technology and Innovation between the governments of Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa dated March 15, 2015.
The second fundamental document is BRICS STI Framework Programme, adopted by Moscow Declaration dated October 28, 2015. BRICS STI Framework Programme covers a wide range of issues within implementation of BRICS Research and Innovation Initiative and proposals on key areas and BRICS cooperation programmes, including implementation of BRICS thematic working groups activities.
Acting as an important mechanism to promote international S&T Cooperation BRICS STI Working Groups ensure the activities in the following areas:
- Materials Science and Nanotechnology
- Biotechnology and Biomedicine including Human Health and Neuroscience
- Research infrastructures and Mega-Science projects
- ICT and High Performance Computing
- Ocean and Polar Science and Technology
- Geospatial and its Application
- Prevention and Monitoring of Natural Disaster
- Science and Technology driven Entrepreneurship and Innovation Partnership
- Solid State Lighting
- New and Renewable Energy
- STI Funding Parties
There are other BRICS Research and Innovation Initiativies & Mechanisms:
- Technology Foresight and STI Policy
- BRICS Water Forum
- BRICS Young Scientist Forum
- Academies of Science Meeting
Collective decisions of BRICS countries in the area of STI are reflected in Declarations, annually accepted following the results of BRICS STI Ministers Meeting.
One of STI Framework Programme functions is to determinate the agreements between BRICS financial organizations in the area of creation of general consortium of joint calls for R&D projects, as well as general procedure for joint calls organization and financing.
Over the period of 2016-2018 1 initiative and 2 coordinated calls under BRICS multilateral R&D Initiative were conducted.
BRICS STI Funding Organizations:
- National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
- Brazilian Innovation Agency (Finep)
- Ministry of Science and Higher Education
- Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR)
- Foundation for Assistance to Small Innovative Enterprises (FASIE)
- Department of Science and Technology (DST)
- Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST)
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
- National Research Foundation (NRF)
More information about the coordinated calls can be found at www.brics-sti.org